January 4, 2014

Hi all and welcome to my new blog!!!!  So much has happened, I'm not sure where to begin but here goes...

2013 was a year of change.  I left teaching at both colleges (Community College of Aurora [Dec. 2012] and Denver [May 2013]), enjoyed being a grandma, mom, and wife, gained a upcoming son-in-law (wedding TBA), and even took time off from the studio, and... started a new job at an art supply company which developed into a full time management position.

Artwise, my work was accepted into the Fusion Encaustic Exhibit at the EncaustiCon Conference 2013 in Santa Fe NM this past year and a beautiful catalogue was created for the show. The piece Interstice II was the work accepted.  What an honor it was to be included in such a wonderful exhibit!!!!!




While all this was happening, my art was taking some new directions.  I'm still working loosely within the interstice ideas but moving in a broader direction with the work:  larger areas of tone, less bands, more subtleties. I'm beginning to think about adding color back into the work as well.  Even conceptually the work reflects more than just the definition of interstices - I'm seeing a deeper, more personal symbolic embodiment in the pieces.

I've also been invited to participate in two shows this year at Denver's, Space Gallery in April and in the Fall.  The April show is titled, Fusion V.  It's a collaboration between artists and poets to produce new work inspired by each other.  I had the pleasure of participating the Fusion IV a couple of years ago so I'm thrilled to be working with the same concepts again.  The poet I'm working with is Wayne Gilbert whose poetry has really inspired me to new levels.   Working larger, more colorfield areas, enriching the textures and surfaces of the work have come out of this exchange (I'm still working on them and will post pics when they are available). The other show is called Surface which will be a black, white, grey show in the Fall 2014.  This show excites me as well because the work will really push the Interstice concepts to a new level.  Working on some sketches for the show, the ideas that were flowing were those of flat vs depth, mystery vs the obvious, contrast vs subtlety - all of which I hope to incorporate within  the new work.  I'm really excited to see what comes of these ideas and how conceptually it will develop.

I'm looking forward to what this year holds both personally and professionally.  I've made a determination to raise the bar in my art, to rekindle the fire of my faith, and just spend more time with my family.  These are the things that hold me together - keep me sane, as well as drive me personally.   I've also determined that this year will be the year that I make more strides to obtain gallery representation hopefully culminating with representation that not only will be beneficial financially but help promote me professionally outside of Colorado too!

I've also been contemplating the people in my life lately especially artistically.  Looking back (as one does at the beginning of the year) over the past couple of years, I'm becoming more and more appreciative of the artists and mentors who speak into my work.  My growth as an artist, the concepts, and technical development have all improved as a result of having these individuals available and willing to put their time and efforts towards my personal and professional development.   My gratitude is overflowing!  I certainly would not be where I am today if it weren't for these wonderful people and their words of wisdom!  I'm also becoming more aware of how the different artistic disciplines help inspire my work.  Not that I didn't know or acknowledge it before, but it's now becoming more important to me.  Poetry, music, dance, all have contributed to my work.  I plan on utilizing them more and allowing them to have a greater voice within my artistic language.

Well, I guess that's it for now.  Happy New Year!!!  Until next time, take care, enjoy, and God Bless!!!!!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Uncomfortable Place

9-11-18

June 12, 2014