Aug. 13, 2015

I've been using my blog for mostly promotion this year but wanted to share my experience regarding the creation of the Psalm Series.  So far the series consists of ten pieces that will be posted as the days pass.  But, until then, the creation of them was one of the most rewarding experiences I've had in the studio.  

I started with some of my favorite verses from the Psalms and quickly created three pieces.  I was amazed at how fast theses works came together.  In fact, faster than ever before.  I, when creating from Scripture, always pray and ask the Lord for guidance.  I completely believe that it happened in the studio.  After the first three, I began to search the Psalms for more verses.  A total of twelve were written down but only so far, ten were created.  As the paintings stared coming together as a unit, I began to reassess the first three.  Only one of the three remained the same, I completely reworked the other two, creating what I believe were much stronger works.  

All of two of the pieces have similar compositional elements which seemed to work for the verses but the other two are very much uniquely suited to their verses of the Psalms.  I completely enjoyed working with the various colors which was a wonderful change from the achromatic and monochromatic color schemes I've been working with for the past 5 years.  I've fallen in love with phthalo blue!!!  What a wonderful and versatile hue!!!!!  I've used all of the various colors in the palette but it's been a real treat to revisit their usage.  

This experience has been one of deep satisfaction both creatively and spiritually.  Meditating on and working from the Scriptures really set my heart at ease.  The peace of the studio was amazing and the joy from creating was something I treasure.  Each painting presented a different and meditative solution to the verses - something I wasn't completely expecting.  I knew from experience a wonderful creative time would happen but to have such a rich and contented place form within my spirit was absolutely incredible.  I know I'm not finished with this series, there's more coming I believe.  With all this, I can do nothing but Praise the Lord with this one!

Thanks for letting me share this with you and I hope you are blessed inside and outside the studio!  Until next time... take care, enjoy, and God bless.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9-11-18

An Uncomfortable Place

June 12, 2014