December 16, 2014

I've started a new series titled the Adam Series based on the account in Genesis when Adam was created from the dirt of the earth.  I'm incorporating different colored dirt within the work to symbolize the different colors of the human skin.  It's been fun finding the different colors of dirt to match the colors of the encaustic paint.  Using the dirt has been interesting as it adds a wonderful texture and completeness to the work.

The idea came to me as I was heading home from an Image Journal workshop called The Glen Workshop in Santa Fe, NM in the early 2000's.  I was driving home with a friend and we noticed the beautiful colors of the horses grazing off the highway.  Then it hit me - the colors of the horses matched many of the colors of the earth and so does human skin.  This little epiphany (an epiphanette!) lead to the idea of creating a series of artworks that would encapsulate that idea.  Now, after many years, I'm actually creating it.

I find the inherent qualities of the encaustic gives the work the sense of movement and texture I desire for I want the swirls and motion to reflect the stirrings of creation, one that birthed Adam.  I named it the Adam Series for several reasons: the word adam means clay or dirt, the color that adam reflects is red, and it was the name of the first human.  I do want this series to pay homage to the Lord for His handiwork and bless and inspire others towards worshipping Him.  For those who may not realize the association, I pray that these pieces reflect beauty and wonder.  For those that do see the correlation, I pray that praise and honor be given to the Lord.

I'm working on a series of studies now to help work through things before I embark on the larger pieces.  The studies are 8"x8" and the larger works will be 30"x40".  I'm very excited to see how they will progress.  So far, the studies have been getting good responses and reactions.  When working on them I try to contemplate the beginning of the creation of Adam and the beauty that God bestowed to the human body.  It has been said that we are made of stars and that the earth has stardust within it.  I can only think of the cosmic beginnings of our world and its inhabitants.  To be made of the things that compose the universe; that which God spoke into existence and ultimately created with His own hand - Adam - gives such a sense of wonder to our own presence here on this planet.  To be one with the universe and ultimately to be one with God through His son, Jesus - that is truly a cosmic existence!!!






So as I continue to create this body of work, I pray that I stay focused and true to that which I am called to do within it.  May it bless the Lord and give Him praise!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9-11-18

An Uncomfortable Place

June 12, 2014