Artist Residency

7-12-19

Well, I'm finishing up my first week at Azusa Pacific University for my Alumni Artist in Residence here in California.  It has been a rich experience so far.  I've been able to see old friends, critique students' work, make art, sit in on lectures, and had my show opening.  What I am seeing with the students' work are topics related to our society: isolation, technology, abuse, feminine identity.  These students are digging deep into their concepts and ideas which makes for intriguing and poignant art.  I'm looking forward to seeing more of their works.

My show was well received and I was actually thanked for showing work that depicts the darker times of life.  It was stated that within the Christian community, showing the negative or darker things of life can be considered a sin and that we need to always be positive.  Well, that's not life nor is that consistent within the Biblical narrative.  The Bible is full of dark and difficult times within its stories.  We are not to always be happy and positive.  Sometimes life just plain sucks and we have to walk through it. But as humans, we have hope. Hope helps us move forward and through the hard times. It sustains us and gives us meaning and strength.  I try to encapsulate that within my work.  Some pieces, true, are raw and the hope is not within the specific work but within the body of work I create, hope lies within it.  There is an ebb and flow to life; the good with the bad, happy with sad.  The duality of this existence - that we can have and be both at the same time - is part of what makes us human.  The complexities of our emotions and existence builds and defines us and makes us who we are.

So my time here has been wonderful.  The conversations have been incredible within critiques and outside of the academic setting.  New friendships have been made and bonds are being created both personally and creatively.  I'm grateful for this experience and honor.  I look forward to seeing what the next two weeks brings!  Until then, be blessed.

Flowers on the APU Campus

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9-11-18

An Uncomfortable Place

June 12, 2014