Artist Residency - Part 2

7-17-19

Well, it's been almost two weeks at my Alumni Artist in Residency at Azusa Pacific University.  It has been an amazing experience. I've been able to connect with the students with critiques, conversations, and art making.  Interesting lectures have been great and it has been wonderful to see old professors and meet new ones, making connections and new friendships. 

My art making has been on overdrive while here.  I'm working on two books, a construction, and paintings.  I feel engulfed with the creativity surrounding me with all of the MFA students working away while I work as well.  It's been good. 

I've been able to focus on work centering around the Holy of Holies: a book and a construction.  While not literal in depiction, the work embodies the idea of the sacred space, the place to meet God.  We see Him through a veil of this worldly existence and the work uses materials to depict that idea.  Cheesecloth is an important physical element within the work.  It is the thin veil that separates the viewer from the gold - the presence of God. The veil has been altered in the construction titled, Through the Veil. It has been painted with black ink - our sins - through which we see redemption and are cleansed from it. 

The book, while still in progress, references the Holy of Holies as well.  The stitching signifies the constant presence of God and our walk with Him.  It also references the Torah ( five) and the Gospels (four) with the number of gold and black stitches running through it.  Using Thai Bird's Nest Paper, the red color references the Blood of Christ and the redemptive act.

It has been an incredible experience so far.  While there is just over a week left of the residency, I'm looking forward to what it will bring to me and to the students.  I can't wait!  Until next time, be blessed!


Through the Veil



Holy of Holies - in progress



Holy of Holies - detail, page 1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9-11-18

An Uncomfortable Place

June 12, 2014