Coming Back

11-19-19


Well, I'm back.  Had a nasty bought of pneumonia during the month of October which kept me down for the count.  Obviously, my art making virtually ceased for that time. I was able to work on small collages and drawings when my strength gained but for the most part, I had to lay pretty low. 

What hit me during this time was just how much I depend on my art practice for my stability and joy.  My time in the studio grounds me and keeps me focused on not just art making, but allows me the space I need to contemplate what is truly important in my life.  I realized just how much contentment I derive from making art. 

It also gave me an appreciation of health and how fast it can be lost.  The pneumonia hit me overnight.  I've never been this sick before.  Being bedridden, not able to do for myself, gave me such gratitude for when I am healthy.  It also gave me an appreciation for my family and friends who helped me through it.  They came over, made meals, cleaned, helped me with much needed company and fellowship.  Being that isolated was very difficult.  But what was interesting was that the art I made, from collages to drawings both showed the struggle and held joy within them.  It was almost like I was creating small, sacred spaces within the work.  Not in a religious sense, but very personal and spiritual.  These small works brought the sanity back to me when I was drifting away.  I'm so very grateful. 

So, thank you to my family and friends, my faith, and my art for bringing me through this time. These works are dedicated to you!



A Collage 2019
8"x5"




Small Collage 2019
8"x5"


Small Drawing 2019
Oil Pastel
8"x5"



A Drawing 2019
Oil Pastel and Charcoal
8"x5"

Comments

  1. Beautifully written, Sue. So happy for your recovery. Love the small pieces you were able to create when you were down. God, family and friends, and art making are my life. Still in pretty good health, thank you Lord.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

9-11-18

An Uncomfortable Place

June 12, 2014