Coronavirus, Creating and Connecting

6-27-2020

It's been a while since I've written. We had the coronavirus hit our house and while only one of us was affected, it was scary.  Everything was sanitized, we were doing lots of laundry, wiping everything down while my poor husband was in isolation.  He's fully recovered, thank the Lord, but it was not fun.  While in some ways I've appreciated the down time that the stay-at-home has brought me, in other ways, it's been very difficult.  Worring about my husband and not being able to see family and friends is taking its toll.  I know many of my friends are experiencing similar feelings, especially those who are alone. 
The one thing that this has taught me is that it is my responsibility to reach out to others.  I'm grateful for face-to-face platforms, phone, texting for they've given me a chance to connect with people.  This time has also given me a chance to connect in the studio.  At first, I was painting up a storm, creating many works but now, I'm slowing the pace down a bit, letting my process dictate just how fast or slow I work.  It's been a welcomed relief since I was in a painting frenzy, if you will.  I'm learning to listen even more than before to the work.  It's been good. 
So much of my work recently has reflected my inner turmoil with the world around me: coronavirus, Black Lives Matter, the political unrest and division in our country.  It's all coming out in the work.  It's getting busier.  Every stroke is calculated, relating the the stroke that came before it.  Some randomness exists but for the most part, the paintings are created with intent.  While I don't see my work as beautiful, I see it reflecting my perceptions of this world.  They are still part of the Stirring Series but I can see a change with the happening.
So, for now, I'll continue to paint and see what happens. I'll reach out to family and friends during this time to connect. I'll try to maintain the slower pace and listen.  I'm looking forward to what will happen. 
Until next time, stay safe and well. 


Susan M Gibbons
Stirring 24
2020
Acrylic and Water-soluable Graphite on Canvas
40"x30"x1.5"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9-11-18

An Uncomfortable Place

June 12, 2014