A New Year, A New Direction

 1-25-2022

It's snowing here in Denver creating a beautiful blanket of white over everything. When it snows, it always reminds me of new beginnings. The old is covered and the freshness and newness of the white cleanses the grime of what came before. This got me thinking of what is new in my life. This is really the first year I haven't made resolutions. I'm thinking of them more as goals or new directions instead of resolutions. 

I want to push my art work to the next level. I've spent since 2019 working on my Stirring Series and it has gotten me to a good place, professionally, creatively, and spiritually. My work has always been reflective of my relationship with the Spirit but now, I feel that intensify. What is within my psyche and spirit is coming forth in a frenzy - not in a bad way but in a way that is exemplifying the energy and movement of the Spirit. Joy has returned to the work. In one sense, I'm simplifying things but in another sense, I'm building more on the canvas. I'm using new tools instead of brushes, playing with color and movement. I'm looking forward to what will happen in the studio. 

I'm also stepping out and submitting to more shows, galleries, residencies. I have a renewed sense of purpose with my work, which is exciting. Truly, I can say, I've never been in this position before. The purpose with which I paint, create, and explore is growing and the freedom to cut loose is wonderful! Something changed within me, creatively. The confidence that I have now, doesn't limit me. While doubt does creep in sometimes, it is lessening. I'm allowing myself to push my limits. Not that I always create wonderful works, I have plenty of duds, but this confidence allows me to push the work, even to the destruction of a piece. This is a learning opportunity - what to do and what not to do. I am completely enjoying the process. 

So, I'm looking forward to new directions in my work in whatever form it takes. Time will tell what happens but the exploration will be fun. I'm hoping to explore concepts of hidden and revealed, calm and energy, the space of rest and of movement. All of this is possible when I slow down and listen to what the Spirit has to offer. In and of myself, I make a mess of things, but I have a grounding in the Spirit, creatively, that helps me back away and look/listen to what is being said on the canvas/paper. This process allows me to hear what is being said by the Spirit. It is a real symbiotic relationship which sustains me for which I am so grateful. 


Serendipity (working title) 
Watersoluble Graphite on Handmade Paper
2022


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9-11-18

An Uncomfortable Place

June 12, 2014