4-1-19

It's a beautiful day here in Denver and I'm ready to create!  I've been working on the Lamentation Series but also other works as well.  I'm revisiting an old material - Thai Bird's Nest Paper.  It's wonderful!!!!!  I'm stitching hemp thread and cheesecloth to it.  The textures are scrumptious! I'm playing with ideas of hidden and revealed, things constant within chaos. 

The textures of the paper will allow for me to use paint and show it off beautifully.  I can't wait to get the paint on it!  Right now, I'm stitching and sewing the cheesecloth onto the paper.  It's very meditative and grounding.  It is a welcome break from the intensity of the Lamentation Series.  Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the Lamentation Series but emotionally, it takes its toll.  So, this work is very welcome and needed at times. 

The sewing is reminiscent of my teen years, when I used to sew.  I learned during high school and received my first sewing machine when I was sixteen.  I still have it and it still runs well!  The stitching then, refers to memory, personal memory for me but it also has other significances. It refers to the dialogue of other women who sew, stitch and create with fabric and fiber.  It has a long history, one that I'm glad to incorporate within my work. 


                                                 Thai Bird's Nest Paper - Work in Progress

The sewing also reminds me of the constant presence of God.  It is my prayer of sorts.  The act of stitching is meditative and grounds me in a way that soothes my spirit.  It's not always easy with the Thai Bird's Nest Paper as it is thick and coarse so the stitching is sometimes difficult.  Nevertheless, it creates a contemplative process for me as I work through the paper.  I love it. 

So, I'm off to create, gleaning from these materials as they speak to me.  The process with them brings me to a place of peace, of contentment.  I can't complain.  It is a blessed time in the studio. My hope is that the work speaks when completed and brings people to the same place for them. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9-11-18

An Uncomfortable Place

June 12, 2014