Continuing the Process

4-8-19

Continuing the Process


Thinking about my latest piece on Thai Bird's Nest Paper, I'm contemplating just what it means to me.  I typically allow the piece to speak and also allow the time it takes for it to speak.  I'm ruminating on this one, especially.  I feel like I'm breaking into new territory, which is exciting.  I'm not pushing this at all, in fact, I'll allow however much time it needs to complete it.  The waiting can make me a bit anxious as I want to create and work on it but many times, I'm just looking, waiting for the piece to tell me the next step in which to go.  It's not frustrating. It forces me to slow down and really see, really look into what I'm doing, making the work, and bringing it to completion. 



This process allows for me to contemplate, pray, and rest if you will.  The act of creating, of creation is one where the energy is expended but also contained, built up in order to release into the creative act.  I'm grateful for this process because it allows me to really respond to my materials and their intrinsic characteristics.  Many times, that's what speaks into the creation of my work.  My response to the materials creates a symbiotic relationship between me and them.  They guide me in a direction and I respond to that direction.  It also allows for spontaneous events in the studio.  I live for those events.  They bring the surprises and chance elements into the work.  I'm thrilled that I can't always determine what is going to happen in the studio.  It makes it exciting.  It keeps me going. 

So now, I sit with this piece, waiting for it to speak. I rest and pray, meditate, and think.  It really is a wonderful experience for which I am grateful.  I'm not sure what is going to happen next but I'm ready for the ride.  So here I go!  Until next time...  enjoy and be blessed!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

9-11-18

An Uncomfortable Place

June 12, 2014