Remembering 9-11-2001

I've been remembering the events of 9-1-2001.  It's been 18 years since that horrible day.  I distinctly remember what I was doing when I found out and will never forget the look on my husband's face during the attacks.  I remember feeling completely helpless as the events unfolded. The sorrow that overwhelmed me was intense.  So much loss.  So much pain.  The sorrow was smothering.  I kept watching the TV, trying to make sense of it all.  Of course, no sense was to be made.  It was madness.  

I was also mad. Mad at the audacity of the attacks, mad at the loss of life, mad at the terror that was inflicted on our nation.  I remember watching a video later of Osama Bin Laden stating that the entire country of America was in fear.  'No, I thought, You're going to see anger, our anger and we're fighting back.'  Anger wasn't just the only response though.  We saw people coming together, helping one another. We saw compassion, great compassion towards each other and we saw people of different ideologies, races, creeds, come together.  We saw unity. 

We have a different America since that day.  More security and more madness in a sense.  But there is something that I've taken away from it and that is we, as people, have a choice.  We can embrace the madness and sink or we can embrace each other and rise.  I choose to rise.  

For those who have lost loved ones from that terrible day, you have my heart and prayers.  Your loved ones won't be forgotten.  I will never forget.   


9-11
Diptych
Encaustic and collage on Mexican Bark Paper
Susan M Gibbons

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

9-11-18

An Uncomfortable Place

June 12, 2014